Friday, June 23, 2017

#TL2017moviewatch : Transformers 5

Each time Michael Bay comes out and say there's more to the movie franchise, I cringed. It's like my childhood memories is being ruined by some selfish agenda. It's like watching your childhood friend growing into an angry adult that you cannot recognize anymore.

More spin-off and sequels are on the way. I am not sure why Hasbro still comes out with more Tf-movie-related toys, they looked terrible. Their other Transformers toy line is way better. Even I think their animated ones are not bad.

Okay, enough of my rant about the franchise.. back to the movie.


Somehow, I find myself enjoying the movie. Okay, honestly I went in without expectation or rather, I thought it's gonna be a disaster but they managed salvage something out of it. I personally rate it better than the terrible 2,3,4. Of course, the first one is still the bomb.

Has its flaws like the continuity editing is terrible. It's like some amateur kid lazily editing some scenes together. It's hard to make sense like how some scenes flow and move.

Besides that, what annoys me is some direction they have for the robots in this franchise...

1) I hated how they slowly turning Optimus Prime into a hot-headed leader. No no, that's not in his system. What happened that wise and calm leader from G1 cartoon? Yea, times changed.
2) (SPOILERS ALERT) He only appears at the beginning and at the end. I am like... what...
3) I know they are trying to sell Bumblebee but I beginning to feel he is meaningless here. Some scenes he looked out of place like what does he need to be there?
4) The new robots that they try to introduce just doesn't resonate with me.
5) Some weapon/droid designs.. erm... I am not sure why they are copying from other franchise (robocop and star wars). It's just plain lazy, a typical B-grade movie habit.

At least, there weren't annoying robots like Skids and Mudflap (from 2nd movie)

Cogman was entertaining somehow. When I first saw him in the trailer, I was annoyed. But somehow he was good. They dropped hint that he is a Headmaster. Well, that's interesting... would they bring in that storyline for next few movies? Only Michael Bay and his writers know.

I did drop hints and used names that any hardcore TF fans would relate to. However, how they are gonna to make sense in the Michael Bay world, well, we can hope it would be a disaster.

Action-wise.. you know Michael Bay, expect explosions, slow-mo and destruction. It's a crazy spectacle but I guess that's what Bay and Transformers (especially) is all about. O yea, the Michael Bay trait in this movie is just too strong.. you will figure it out though..

What probably keep you entertained is the one liner puns or digs.

Overall, it's yet another alien invasion/world at its end-kind of feel but not the best so I will just give it B- for effort. Okay, their so-called writers' session together worked somehow... there's some improvement in the story writing.

Of course, there's a few plot holes which doesn't make sense somehow. Like how can Optimus and Bumblebee can't recognize Lennox?? And this explanation about whereabouts of Sam Witwicky (HUGE SPOILERS) which left me baffled.

While critics probably shelved this as 2017's disaster flick, I wouldn't put it there but I wouldn't put it in the category of the best or great stuff. Probably one of those guilty pleasure stuff. Maybe everyone forgot how terrible was its predecessors were. I cringed at some plots and stories. I only can pick few good moments from those predecessors. Okay, I cringed at some as well in this movie.

But still, please don't ruin my childhood friend any further.

If you all need help, please hired me as scriptwriter.

If it's exam, B minus grade from me or 6.8/10

No comments: