Thursday, April 12, 2018

#TL2018moviewatch : Rampage


well, based on the trailers and even promotional materials, it's yet another heavy Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson-led movie.

Yup, whenever he is in any movie, the amount of promotion put for it is just crazy. Man, he even has a "personalized" shoutout to Malaysia. When he does that, you even wanna watch that movie. hahaha.

If you group this movie in the category of video game adaption or monster movie that have been released so far, well, this movie is certainly the best so far. I won't comment about (this year's) Tomb Raider because I haven't watch it, but I enjoyed Rampage better than Pacific Rim.

I guess it's fair to put this movie in that category of "one of the best video game adaption so far".

I think not many people know that it's actually based on a classic video-game but what makes this movie interesting is how that they make it like their own movie/storyline first instead of adopting straight from the video game. They did it well without even losing the game's identity.

Another thing that stands out for me is the strong support cast such as Naomie Harris , Malin Ã…kerman, Joe Manganiello and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Not forgetting, an important element of any "monster" film is the special effects. A lot have been put it to make it realistic which is impressive.

Cons though, like mentioned earlier, with The Rock in it, it heavily depends on him and some point it felt like any movies he has led, something like San Andreas. So, honestly, I have made up my mind that I won't watch his next movie Skyscraper, because it looks like his other movies. Meanwhile, ya, I hope The Rock knows what he is doing or else, people will grow tired of him. Yes, he is a nice guy.. but.. sometimes Hollywood can be cruel..

But honestly, I went in NOT letting the thought of "hey another those the Rock movie".. er.. yes it is but somehow they managed to balance his star power all around - with the strong support cast and the superb special effects of the monsters.

All in all, the movie lived up to its name. Rampage. Lots of rampaging from the monsters, so I approved this. 


Rating : 8/10

Extra read : The Rock's top 10 movies (which I agree because I have watched those movies mentioned)

No comments: